Jan 12, 2012

Spanish Meatballs (with a story)

 I can tell this story today and laugh but at the time my husband and I thought we were going to die.

Back in 1979 our daughter was little.  There was a little hamburger joint in the town next to where we lived that had awesome burgers and root beer in ice cold mugs like A&W used to have.  We decided to drive over there for lunch.  We ordered burgers and root beers and since our daughter was just learning to eat regular food we ordered her a grilled cheese.  It was a drive-in so we ate in the car.

Now before we went to the hamburger joint I had made a pot of these Spanish Meatballs to take that evening to a Sunday School party; left them on the stove to cool down while we were gone.

We ate our lunch and went back home.  My husband and I both started feeling bad on the way back.  By the time we got home we were both sick as dogs.  And then we walked into the house and the smell from the meatballs, well let me just say it didn't make us feel better.  We called my parents to come get the baby and the meatballs.  We decided we must have had food poisoning cause the baby wasn't sick cause she had a grilled cheese sandwich.  Luckily we had 2 bathrooms in our house so we each took one, even lying on the floor so we'd be close to the toilets.  We called our doctor and left messages several times to see if there was anything he could give us but we never heard from him, found out the next day his answering service kept giving him the wrong names.

Anyway, we rode out the night on the bathroom floors and survived.  My parents had a lot of meatballs to eat!  I didn't make these meatballs again for a long time, just couldn't get the smell of walking into the house sick and smelling them out of our minds (noses actually, lol).

These are very good and you can add more spice but try it this way first just in case it's spicy enough.

Here's the recipe:

Heat the following in a big pot -

1 can tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
1 can water to rinse out the soup can
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 chopped onion
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon chile powder

While this is heating, mix together -

1 lb. ground meat
½ lb. hot sausage, like breakfast sausage
2 teaspoon chile powder
½ cup minute rice
1 egg
1 chopped onion
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper

Mix well; make into balls about size of egg; drop into simmering sauce and cook about an hour or until the meatballs are done.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! I didn't eat Chick-fil-a for years because I was really sick once just after eating one. Not their fault, I had the flu, but still the smell made me sick for years!

Good blog!

Love you!

Yvette